Making the Most of Your Storage Unit
Whether you’re a skilled pro or have never rented a self storage unit before, there are tips and tricks to help make the most of your storage unit. With a well-laid plan and some preparations, you’ll have peace of mind and ensure your belongings are ready for their stay. Choosing the right unit, packing well, and maximizing space are all great steps to get the most out of your unit.
The first thing someone who is looking for self storage should do is know exactly what they need and what they’re looking for in a storage facility. Life can be hectic, and we can get thrown for a curve, but having a good idea of what will be stored and how it will be stored can alleviate a lot of stress when it comes to moving day.
Choose the Right Unit
After days of packing, orchestrating all the moving parts, and hours of loading a storage unit, the last thing anyone wants is to find out their storage unit is too small. Don’t waste that kind of time and energy. Utilize our handy size guide that helps you determine the dimensions you need for your valuables. Make a list of everything you will be storing. Measure large or bulky items like furniture and check the size of your boxes and other containers to get a good idea of how much space you will need. If there is anything that is temperature sensitive on your list, you will need a climate-controlled unit to protect those sensitive items.
You won’t know exactly how to load your storage unit until you’re actually there, but plan to store smaller items around those larger items so you can adapt and maximize your space. For a little breathing room, choose a unit larger than you expect you’ll need to eliminate any surprises and having to make any stressful decisions in the home stretch.
Prepare and Pack Properly
One of the most important steps in self storage is preparing and packing items properly. Not only will this ensure they don’t incur damage but also that you have a smooth move-in. Proper storage is more than packing a few boxes and tossing them in a storage unit. Taking a little extra time and care will pay dividends down the road for you and your belongings. Here are a few tips we recommend when packing for self storage.
- Use the opportunity to set aside anything unnecessary, or that has outlived its usefulness, to donate or throw away. Everything you get rid of is one less thing to pack.
- Make a system to help organize items. Color coding, labeling containers, and grouping like items will expedite the process and make finding items easier at a later date.
- Clean items before storing them. Appliances should be dry, and tools should be cleaned of debris. Metals should always be stored dry to prevent rust.
- Heavy items should be stored in durable and rigid containers. They should also be stored on the bottom of a stack with lighter items on top.
- Make sure to have packing paper or peanuts to fill in that empty space in your boxes and containers to prevent movement and shifting, especially for the more fragile items.
- Disassemble anything with fragile or moving parts and securely pack those parts separately.
- Use plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes. Plastic won’t absorb moisture and will allow you to see contents. Bins are also more rigid for better stacking.
- If using cardboard boxes, store those boxes on pallets instead of directly on the ground. This will allow for airflow and prevent moisture accumulation.
- Pack pictures and mirrors vertically to avoid breakage.
For even more tips and ideas, check out our storage tips page.
Maximize Your Space
A little planning and diligence can help maximize any space to its fullest potential. This is true when it comes to loading up your storage unit. An organized and optimized storage unit helps in the loading and unloading process and makes life just a little easier.
If possible, use uniform-sized boxes and containers. This will take any guesswork out of how to fit everything into your storage unit and make loading fast and easy. If you plan on accessing your items frequently, leave yourself a path or two so you don’t have to crawl around or spend hours searching for a box buried at the bottom of a stack. Store items you will need to access more often toward the front of your unit.
Rent Your Unit Online Today
StoreLine Self Storage is proud to offer a variety of storage units to accommodate whatever you need to store. Our fast and easy rental process can all be done on your time from anywhere, all online. Browse our selection of units, rent your ideal unit, and set up automatic payments for a contactless experience. Check out our online resources, like our FAQ page, to answer your questions. We also have knowledgeable staff and office hours seven days a week to help with any issues you may have. Come see us or rent your unit online today!